Brandon Training School (BTS)

Brandon Training School Dorm Photo
Brandon Training School Dorm

The Brandon Training School, Vermont’s only public institution for people with mental retardation and developmental disabilities, was opened in 1915 as the program that served Vermonters with mental retardation and developmental disabilities.   Founded as the Vermont State School for Feebleminded Children, the name was changed to Brandon State School in 1929 and later to the Brandon Training School.  The institution once housed over 600 individuals, and served a total of 2,324 people over the years until its closure in 1993.   Vermont was the second state to close its only public institution; New Hampshire was first in 1991.

Historic Documents

Closure of the Brandon Training School, 1993

20th Anniversary of the Closing of Brandon Training School

Brandon Training School Photographs

 

Tags: