The Brandon Training School, Vermont’s only public institution for people with mental retardation and developmental disabilities, was opened in 1915 as the program that served Vermonters with mental retardation and developmental disabilities. Founded as the Vermont State School for Feebleminded Children, the name was changed to Brandon State School in 1929 and later to the Brandon Training School. The institution once housed over 600 individuals, and served a total of 2,324 people over the years until its closure in 1993. Vermont was the second state to close its only public institution; New Hampshire was first in 1991.
Brace Decree, October 1980 - A lawsuit on behalf of Robert Brace and other residents who wanted to move out of the Brandon Training School, and set in motion a ten-year plan for developing housing resources around the state. This settlement became known as "the Brace Decree."
A Proposal for Unification of Vermont's Mental Retardation Service System - Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, February 1990
Unifying the System - Closure of the Brandon Training School, 7/1/91 - 6/30/92 - Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation report to Governor Dean
Brandon Training School Closing Booklet - Closing the Doors of the Institution, Opening the Hearts of Our Communities, Brandon Training School 1915 - 1993
The Very Most Glorious of Occasions - The Brandon Training School Closing Ceremony, December 9, 1993 (Video)